Tales: Late Night Rambles




"I tried not to think about it," i told him, "You know, about the scandal..."
"Of which you are not, in anyway, involved?" his raspy voice replied over the phone.
"Well, maybe more like a friend of the suspect. That makes me... a... um, witness?" i made do. I heard nothing but his breath. I know he was just lounging around on his sofa bed, listening to my rambles as he watch the night grew steadily cooler.

" It's fun, i guess, in a thick-black-oil-spill way," i continued while sipping on my morning coffee.
" Ha! A contrary to the former adjective. Now, continue with the verdict," he added sarcastically.
" That was me being subtly sardonic, thank you very much," i playfully smiled at my reflection on the coffee maker. I imagined him rubbing his hair and changing his sitting position to a more comfortable one. " Im half-way around the world from it. Nothing can be so bad when you're this detached." It's gonna be a long night talk - at least for him.

"Being of great distance from you doesn't make a scandal all the less menacing."
That's true, i thought, i gotta give that to him. But it's not like this scandal is any of my concern. Having a friend playing a part of a movie doesn't grant me a spot in the plot. It's more like a dream of a nephew i will never be acquainted with. "Distance isn't a factor that could change the way you perceive, the way you feel, the way you be," suddenly philosophical.

"Agree, distance can't unhook what's been hitched." I was referring to something else.
"Hmm..." that's all he said with a little rustle behind him.
"What was that?" curious, i asked.
"I'm hugging this girl-imagined-pillow," i can hear his smile as i tried unsuccessfully to sip another coffee after pleasantly startled. A familiar warmth fills my chest, "You're enjoying this aren't you?" he asked, we laughed. That warmth wasn't from the caffeine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm done being high and dry