Speaking in Tongues according to Paul

13 So, when you pray in your private prayer language, don’t hoard the experience for yourself. Pray for the insight and ability to bring others into that intimacy.14 If I pray in tongues, my spirit prays but my mind lies fallow, and all that intelligence is wasted.15 So what’s the solution? The answer is simple enough. Do both. I should be spiritually free and expressive as I pray, but I should also be thoughtful and mindful as I pray. I should sing with my spirit, and sing with my mind.

1 Corinthians 14:13-15

Praying in tongues is your private language to God. It's like a direct connection. But as paul said, your mouth can go rapid fire, while your mind stays vacant. The solution would be, sharpen your mind! be expressive with your words as well as with your tongue. The context of the chapter was Paul asking the Corinthians to edify the whole church by speaking in 'human' language, rather than in the spirit's because when somebody else understands it, they will be strengthened and there is a seed sown. But what hits me on this chapter is the verse 15. cause, frankly, i find myself in that position quite recently. Trying to just pray and prop myself up with speaking in tongues, not really praying with my mind at all, just let the tongue speaks, almost empty inside.. Not because i don't know what to pray about, but i think it's just laziness. anyway, i should really start singing with my mind as well as singing with my spirit. it's not enough to do it just by one. problem is, the mind takes a while to warm up for prayers.. at least, in my case. so, i'm gonna learn extra hard on this, i guess :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm done being high and dry